1 embody the essential characteristics of or be a typical example of; "The fugue typifies Bach's style of composition" [syn: epitomize, epitomise]
2 express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol; "What does the Statue of Liberty symbolize?" [syn: symbolize, symbolise, stand for, represent] [also: typified]
- To embody, exemplify; to represent by an image, form, model, or resemblance.
- His attitude typifies the attitude of young people today.
- To portray stereotypically.
- The angry captain typified all new sailors as incompetent.
- In the context of "transitive|science": To serve as a typical or reference specimen.
- The chosen specimen typifies plants belonging to that species.''
advert to, allude to, augur, be taken as, betoken, body forth, characterize, denominate, denote, designate, divine, emblematize, embody, epitomize, evince, exemplify, figure, finger, foretoken, hint, illustrate, indicate, instance, mean, mirror, model, name, personify, pick out, point at, point out, point to, prefigure, preindicate, presign, presignal, presignify, pretypify, refer to, represent, select, signify, specify, spell, stand for, stigmatize, suggest, symbol, symbolize, token